Industrial Automation Technician
Shift: Monday to Friday, 3 pm - 11:30 pm
Role Purpose: Responsible for the effective utilization of available automation technology to increase equipment productivity, safety, reliability and simplify maintenance procedures. Investigates root causes of equipment breakdowns and determines appropriate corrective action.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES AND ACTIVITIES
· Assists in equipment malfunction investigation to increase equipment reliability by identifying root cause, determining corrective actions/preventative measures, and following up on any deviations, customer and consumer complaints.
· Review and document technical information (i.e. version upgrade requirements, service packs, patches, utilities) provided by the product manufacturer. Keeps up-to-date schematics and related technical documentation.
· Converts paper based documentation into electronic format. Makes drafting design and alteration using AutoCAD.
· Works with plant engineers on Pre-Start Safety Reviews and equipment safety audits.
· Assists Engineers/Application Consultants in developing product upgrade paths.
· Performs setup and calibration for process equipment and control instrumentation such as: Flow meters, Viscosity meters, Power meters, Conductivity meters, Temperature and Pressure transducers.
· Calculates parameters for PID loops according to process regulations. Develops and makes alterations in PLC programs per requirement.
· Determines and programs parameters for variable frequency drivers and servo drives.
· Installs and commissions new necessary instrumentation for additional data collection as per requests from data users.
· Maintains and continuously develops existing plant process control systems and SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition).
· Performs routine diagnostic checks on equipment, electrical panels, and control systems;
· Troubleshoots SCADA and PLC Network communication.
· Tests new industrial automation equipment, instruments, controls and materials available on the market for use in a manufacturing environment, and provide effectiveness reports to Upper Management.
· Follows all safety regulations, such as Arc Flash protection and use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
· Maintains up-to-date technical knowledge and skills by attending training sessions and seminars from major manufacturers of automation equipment, including Rockwell Automation, Schneider Electric, General Electric, etc.
· Policies, Processes & Procedures
o Follow all relevant departmental policies, processes, standard operating procedures and instructions so that work is carried out in a controlled and consistent manner.
• Minimum three years of experience with manufacturing systems, including PLC-based control systems and OPC interfaces preferable;
• Strong knowledge of PLCs (Allen Bradley, Schneider, Siemens, Mitsubishi and Omron).
• Prior working experience in a manufacturing environment an asset;
• Possesses and commits to a high level of personal and ethical responsibility.
• Knowledge of the installation, configuration, operation and troubleshooting of route and switched networks, and fiber optic network media;
• Experience working with Industrial Network Protocols (Device Net, Ethernet IP, Modbus TCP, HART, Asi);
• Intermediate-level knowledge in IEC programming languages (PLC and HMI programming);
• Basic understanding of hydraulics and pneumatics.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
• 442A Industrial or 309A Construction and Maintenance Electrical License required;
• Associate’s Degree in Industrial Automation or equivalent;
· Driving for Results - Relentlessly pursues quantifiable and measurable results: identifies areas for improvement and executes changes as necessary.
· Communication & Listening - Encourages open and honest communication with the team, communicates messages clearly and concisely and listens attentively to others.
· Initiative - Proactively seeks new opportunities and challenges; takes ownership and accountability for enhancing results or minimizing problems.
· Builds Networks - Builds strong relationships with peers, partners and key stakeholders, cultivating meaningful connections.
· Awareness & Insight - Assesses one’s own abilities, understands how actions impact perceptions and thrives within our culture, climate and organization at all levels.
We thank all applicants for applying however only those chosen will be contacted.